Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
Woodman Point Beach 3 is a spot dedicated to freestyle riding. During summer sea breezes the wind is OFF-SHORE at this location. Beginners must avoid this location and kite at Beach One instead. Regardless of your skill level, if you choose to kite at this location, you must be prepared for a long rescue in case anything goes wrong. The sand bar and shore block the waves, creating a mirror-like water surface. A freestyle carousel is organized, so please respect freestyle etiquette. Advanced riders only.
🧭 Wind Compass
S, SSW, SW: These are the most common wind directions in the summer in Perth and the ideal winds for this location
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE: These winds will blow predominantly during Winter (May-September) and are usually not as reliable as summer winds, however, they can work great for this location
NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These wind directions will come from the land and are unsuitable for this location
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Fairy tern, a vulnerable specie, is nesting on Waper Groyne. To protect them, kitesurfing is prohibited within the buoys, between September 1st and January 31st, although the buoys will be there year round. Failing to comply may result in permanent closure of this location for kitesurfing. To learn more about this restriction, and the action taken by Kitesurfing Western Australia to keep the location open to kitesurfers, please visit KWA website.
- Restriction zone around jetty and all beach North East of the jetty
- Observe freestyle etiquette : follow the carousel, don't short tack. Don't gybe in front of kiters. Allow everyone to do their trick
- Sand dunes rehabilitation area. Keep clear of the sand dunes
- Walk through Beach 2 to get to this location. Do not walk through the path in the sand dunes. The local council has expressed concerns about this short cut. In order to keep this location open to kitesurfing activities, riders are advised to observe this rule very strictly.
- W to NE winds can be gusty and choppy
- Sharp shells can damage equipment
- Sharp rocks and reef below the surface
- Frequent theft in the car park. Do not leave any valuables in your car and keep your doors locked at all times
- Good for wakestyle and freestyle
- Freestyle community
- Freestyle etiquette applies
-Mirror-like flat water with minimal wind turbulence
- Off shore winds
- Very High Theft area. Don't leave any valuables in the car. Lock your doors at all time.
- Very long rescue if something goes wrong
- Long walk to access the beach