Woodman Point (aka ''Woodies'') Beach One is a great flatwater spot with minimal chop. Although the sea breeze winds are predominately on-shore in this location, beginners are encouraged to use Beach One instead of Beach Two and Beach Three. Beach One can get very crowded with learners especially near the shore. Cars get frequently broken into in this area, so please make sure you take out any valuables from your car.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of Summer (January-February). This wind direction will be directly on-shore at this location and is not recommended for beginners.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). SSW winds are more on-shore than side-shore at this location. If you are learning it will be also be a difficult wind direction to learn in (difficult to get away from the shore).
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location as will make it easier to get away from the shore.
SSE, SE, ESE, E: These winds will blow predominately during the mornings in the summer months. They tend to be light and gusty but can work great at this location if the wind is reliable enough.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE: these winds are either unsuitable or will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Sharp reef and sharp shells on the beach
- Leave room for beginners and kite schools
- Keep away from sand dunes and rehabilitation areas
- Pack up your kite and lines when not in use
- Beginners should launch and land East of the main launching zone
- Keep a safe distance from the limestone wall
- Intermediate and advanced riders should give room for beginners that are going out
- Flat protected water
- Works in Easterly / South-Easterly winds
- Narrow beach with predominately on-shore winds
- Small launching area with obstacles (trees, walls, signs)
- Not recommended for unsupervised beginners
- Frequent theft in the car park