Shoalwater (aka ''Shoalies'' or''Pengos'') is a popular beginner spot close to Penguin Island. During summer sea breezes, the long side-shore beach allows beginners to drift downwind and come back walking upwind on the beach. Riders must be aware that this is a touristic area and must respect beach users, wildlife and other marine activities. A ferry operates from the jetty and the local council has concerns about kitesurfers getting too close from the operation. In order to keep this location open for kitesurfing activities, riders must take extra distance from the ferries.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction allows you to get away from the shore but also come back to shore easily.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These wind directions are either unsuitable or will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Do NOT kitesurf close to the ferry, no matter your skill level
- Do NOT kitesurf in the protected areas close to Penguin Island and Seal Island
- Major wind shadows around Penguin Island and other rocky island formations
- Shallow sharp reef around Seal Island and other rocky island formations
- Keep clear of beach goers and other marine activities
- Beginners walking upwind on the beach must stay clear of beach goers. Do NOT fly your kite over people
- Keep a respectful distance from wildlife (dolphins, sea lions, seals, penguins, etc...)
- Beginner friendly
- Long side-shore beach for downwinders
- Flat water
- Other beach users and fishermen
- Curious tourists
- Marine traffic