Big Lagoon is located inside the François Péron National Park, close to Denham in Shark Bay. It is easily accessible with a 4WD and is close to a campground. It has dry toilets and free BBQs. This paradise-like location is a great flat water spot. The complicated drive and the tricky narrow launch full of obstacles could be discouraging, but the crystal clear water and strong winds make it worth the trouble. It is better to kitesurf at high tide, as the water can be too shallow for a low tide. A kitesurfing school operates in the Shark Bay area and sometimes organizes kite trip and downwinders at Big Lagoon: Shark Bay Kitesurfing.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S, SSW, SW: Common afternoon wind directions in the summer months. These winds are the only suitable winds for this location. They will be funneled through the entrance of the lagoon and create a Venturi effect, increasing the wind speed in the narrower parts of the lagoon. The wind is usually gusty at Big Lagoon.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds are not suitable for this location.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Narrow launch with obstacles
- Occasional boat anchored around the launching area
- Deep channel to cross before reaching the shallow water
- Gusty winds
- A venturi effect makes the wind stronger in the lagoon. Keep that in mind when planning your trip to this location
- Occasional seaweed build up on the beach and in the water close to shore
- Cobblers (Venomous catfish) can be hiding in the seaweed
- At low tide, water can be too shallow for kitesurfing
- Keep clear of fishermen and other beach users
- Flat crystal clear water
- Venturi effect makes the wind stronger at this location
- Newly built amenities: Toilets, BBQ's, Picnic tables
- 4WD needed to access this location
- Entrance fee for the National Park
- Far from civilization
- Gusty winds
- Sand bar can get very shallow at low tide
Links and Media