The Pond is a location renown internationally for its mirror-like flat water conditions. Sea breeze winds are only slightly disturbed due to low sand dunes. International sponsored riders can be seen all through summer. This location is usually crazy busy. One to two freestyle carousels are operating upwind of the spot, with many kite crashes. Riders must respect freestyle etiquette in the upwind section and beware of falling kites in the middle section. The downwind section is dedicated to windsurfing. Although this location would be easy to ride for beginners, the advanced crowd and heavy traffic make it unsuitable for learners. Beginners are advised to use the sand bar South of this location instead: see Safety Bay - Sand Bar. The Pond is home to many freestyle competitions. Many riders will launch at the Pond but will prefer to ride the flat water East of the spot, where traffic is less dense.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S, SSW, SW: The perfect wind directions for this location. These are common afternoon wind directions in summer.
WSW: This wind direction is rarer but also suitable for this location.
W, SE, SSE : These winds will force you to ride perpendicular to the Pond, making your tack very short. They are not recommenced and not especially fun at this location.
WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE : These winds are coming from the land and will be very gusty. Out of the Pond, they will take you off-shore and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Close to shore
- Wind turbulence close to the North shore
- Boat channel
- Boat channel buoys
- Fishermen and beach users
- Possible cobblers and sting rays
- Possible poisonous snakes on land
- Foot-nibbling crabs in the shallows
- Sand Dunes rehabilitation zones
- Windsurfing zone downwind
- Freestyle carousel, freestyle etiquette recommended in the most upwind part of the Pond
- Heavy traffic. Observe right of way rules and avoid jumping when there are riders coming downwind
- Mirror-like flat water and undisturbed wind
- Perfect for wakestyle and freestyle
- Freestyle etiquette applies on the South Shore
- Freestyle carousel
- Easy launching area
- Occasional pro riders
- Occasional events
- Usually very crowded in summer
- Water quality and occasional stench, but this tends to get better. The council is working with the local community to improve this aspect
- Beginners not welcomed
- No amenities