Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
The Sand Bar in Safety Bay is a flat water location with both deep and shallow water. It is a very safe place for beginners to practice their body drag and water start. Although the sea breeze blows on-shore, it is easy to walk upwind on the sand bar. A beginner can even launch from the shallow water on the sand bar. This location can get crowded with beginners during the week end and holidays. It is advised to give room to inexperienced riders. Two kitesurfing schools operate from this spot : WA Surf and West Oz Kiteboarding.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of Summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This direction blows directly on-shore at this location. It is advised for beginners to walk upwind on the sand bar and keep a safe distance form shore at all time.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. These wind direction is also suitable for this location.
WSW, W: These winds will blow during Winter and are generally driven by storm front. These winds are gusty and not recommended for beginners.
SSE, SE: These wind directions are usually unreliable and may eventually turn off-shore at this location. They are not recommended for this spot.
WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE: These winds are either unsuitable or will take you off-shore at this location.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Boat channel East of the spot
- Can get very crowded, especially during the week end and holidays
- Give way to kite school operations and beginners
- Occasional windsurfing races passing on the sand bar
- Shared location with windsurfers
- Observe right of way rules with all other disciplines on the water
- On shore winds. Walk out on the sand bar and stay a safe distance from shore
- Use the pathway through the sand dunes. This is a rehabilitation area
- The sand bar can be very shallow
- Boat anchorage on the West side
🅿️ Access and Parking
Park on the street or in the yacht club parking
Access through the pathway in the sand dunes
- The sand bar extends very far away from shore and allow beginners to walk upwind easily in the safety of shallow water
- Shallow water on the East side of the sand bar and deep water on the West side
- Flat water
- This location works in sea breeze winds
- Beginner friendly
- Can get very crowded with beginners
- Long walk from the parking
Links and Media