Pinnaroo Point (aka ''Pinnas'') is a beginner friendly location due to the absence of large waves and shore breaks. It works best in Sea Breezes (S, SSW, SW) during the summer months (October-April). Pinnaroo Point can get very crowded on week end and during holidays, so space can be limited. Two schools operate at this location: ActionSportsWa and KiteBud. Please respect the beginners (whether they are in a lesson or not) by giving them lots of space. Do not setup, launch, land or fly your kite on the dog beach. As this is a deep water location with predominately side-shore winds, you must be fully competent at self-rescue and board recovery. The beach can be quite narrow and full of sea weed during the winter months and in October/Early November.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). Be aware of the wind shadow area downwind (North) of the spot entrance in this wind direction (see map below). The wind will be side-off shore and turbulent in this area, which will make it difficult to come back to shore. On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon. Use caution, stay upwind (South) and closer to the shore when going out in due South winds.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction allows you to get away from the shore but also come back to shore easily.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Do not setup, launch/land or fly kites on the dog beach
- Avoid the windsurfing area
- Riders must be able to self rescue properly
- In South wind, there is an off-shore zone downwind of the riding location with a major wind shadow close to shore. It can be difficult to come back.
- Observe right of way rules
- Give room to beginners and lessons
- Keep the kite over the water when walking back upwind
🅿️ Access and Parking
- Easy Access with plenty of free parking. Please obey the parking rules and park in the marked bays.
- Theft has occurred in the car park. Do not leave any valuables or any kitesurfing equipment in your car and keep your doors locked.
- Easy access
- Beginner friendly
- Wide beach in summer
- A great spot to learn to hydrofoil
- Can get crowded
- Gets very choppy in strong winds
- Side-off shore area in due South winds
- In WINTER: Lots of seaweed and narrow beach
- A popular fishing spot, especially around sunset
- Can get crowded with beach users during the Holidays