Pelican Point is a nice flat and shallow water location. However, the on-shore wind direction and very small beach with obstacles is not suited for beginners. Rider must launch in the water and respect prohibited zones. Foot protection is advised.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
SSE, SE, ESE, E: These wind direction are ideal for kitesurfing at this location. During the summer months, Easterly winds will blow in the morning and on very hot days. These wind direction are usually light.
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon. The South winds blow directly on-shore at this location. Launching must be done with caution, as the launching area is narrow and close to obstacles.
SSW : This wind direction is not ideal for this location. Wind may be very gusty and the launching may be dangerous.
SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Narrow launching area with obstacles
- Rig on the grass
- Don't leave your kite and lines in the way of pedestrians
- Quickly pack up your equipment once you're done
- Forbidden to rig inside the fenced area. This is a bird sanctuary
- Keep out of the yellow buoys zone, as this is part of the bird sanctuary
- Beach users and pedestrians
- Do not launch and land from the wall
- On-shore winds
- Ride away from the launching and landing zone
- Flat water
- The only location in Perth that works in SE winds
- Not beginner friendly
- Wind is often unreliable
- Sketchy launching and landing area
- On-shore winds with obstacles on land