The Estuary in Mandurah is a good land breeze kitesurfing location. Few kitesurfers travel to this spot for a morning session. Its shallow and flat water offers mirror-like conditions that suits all level of kitesurfers. The seaweed hides some venomous catfishes, so avoid walking in the water and be first-aid ready. Morning land breezes are usually light, so plan big kites.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
E, ESE, SE: These wind directions are ideal for kitesurfing in the Estuary. The wind will be on-shore to Side on-shore, so caution is needed when launching. The shallow water will make it easy to walk upwind away from shore safely. It is advised to launch in the shallow water.
NE, ENE, SSE, S : These wind directions are side-on-shore to side-shore. They are suitable for this location, but may be gusty.
SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE: These winds will be extremely gusty and will take you off-shore at this location. They must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Possible cobblers (venomous catfish) hiding in the seaweed
- Keep off the pedestrian path
- Keep a safe distance from other beach users
- Seaweed can get wrapped around the lines
- Generally light wind. Plan ahead and bring big kites
- Flat water
- Works in morning land breezes
- Shallow water makes it possible to walk upwind even on on-shore wind
- Beginner friendly
- Easily Accessible