Avalon Beach in Mandurah can deliver great kitesurfing and wave-riding conditions. It's one of the few places around Perth where you can kite in North-North-East and North-East winds. This location also works well during winter Westerly fronts for experienced riders.
A few hundred meters to the North, you can find the Gearies surf break (popular surfing spot) that can work well during winter Westerly fronts. A few hundred meters to the South, you can find Falcon beach.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE: These wind directions are ideal for kitesurfing in Falcon/Avalon/Gearies. Westerlies and Northerlies are predominately blowing in Winter and are often generated by storm fronts.
NE, SSW : These wind directions may be gusty due to the wind passing over nearby land. There may be some areas that are side-off shore with these wind directions.
S, SSE, SE, ESE, E, ENE: These wind directions will take you off-shore at this location. They must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Shallow reef in wave breaks
- Not suitable for beginners
- Storm fronts can bring dangerous and unpredictable winds
- Flat water and waves
- Big winter swells during storm fronts
- Easily Accessible
- One of the rare locations that can work in NNE and NE winds
- Shallow reef around the waves
- Wind is often gusty during winter fronts
- Not suitable for summer sea breezes blowing from due South.
Links and Media