Lancelin Jetty aka ''South Passage'' is a popular reef break for both windsurfers and kitesurfers. It is one of the 3 main locations in Lancelin, also see: Lancelin Beach and Lancelin Island (where beginners are encouraged to go to). Please pack up your kites and lines when not in use, other vehicles will not see your bar and lines and will drive over them. Lancelin Jetty is not recommended for beginners due to the presence of anchored vessels. You can easily drive on the beach North of Lancelin Jetty via Miragliotta st. THERE ARE NO KITESURFING SCHOOLS / SHOPS IN LANCELIN.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction allows you to get away from the shore but also come back to shore easily.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Wave riding etiquette applies with all other disciplines on the water
- Keep a safe distance from beach users, fishermen and windsurfers
- Beware of the shallow reef
- Pack up your kite and lines when not in use
- Keep a safe distance from anchored boats
- Great wave riding location
- Easy drive to the beach with predominantly hard sand
- Wide Beach
- South Passage reef break can get crowded with windsurfers and kitesurfers
- Boats anchored close to the launching area
- Not beginner friendly
- Shallow reef