Lancelin Island aka ''North Point'' may be the least popular spot in Lancelin but the preferred area for beginners due to absence of waves and shallow reef. It is one of the 3 main locations in Lancelin, also see: Lancelin Beach and Lancelin Jetty. Please pack up your kites and lines when not in use, other vehicles will not see your bar and lines and will drive over them. Access from Hinchcliffe road, be aware that the sand is softer on this beach. THERE ARE NO KITESURFING SCHOOLS / SHOPS IN LANCELIN.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: Be aware of the side-off shore area downwind (North) of the launching zone in due South Winds.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction allows you to get away from the shore but also come back to shore easily.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Keep a safe distance from beach users and fishermen
- Keep a safe distance from anchored vessels
- Pack up your kite and lines when not in use
- In Southerly winds, there is a windshadow North of the point. It may be hard to get back to shore, as the wind can be gusty or there can be no wind at all
🅿️ Access and Parking
- Access at the end of Hinchfliffe road. Park at the end of the road or drive on the beach (4x4 Only)
- Sand is softer there compared to the other locations in Lancelin so there is a higher risk to get bogged in this area
- Great location for beginners
- Easy access
- Side-Off shore wind shadowed area North of launching zone (especially in due South Winds)
- Boats anchored upwind and downwind of the launching area
- Beach is narrower compared to the other locations in Lancelin
- Greater risk of getting your 4x4 bogged due to softer sand on the beach