Hampton Harbour is the main kite spot in Karratha in Summer when the wind direction is predominantly Westerly.
Most of the local kiters rig up on the Hampton Harbour oval and walk up the beach to start. For beginners it is recommended to rig up on the South/Western aspect of the bay as it does get gusty on the oval and there are some rocky hazards to pass on the walk up the beach.
The Kite spots around Karratha have a large tidal range. Beginners will find this spot easiest for practicing board skills with a tide between 1.5 and 3m.
- Average water temperature: 26.39; Min: 24.1, Max 28.4.
- Average air temperature: Mean Min July:17 deg, Mean Max Feb: 36
You will find a kitesurfing school and shop operating in the area: Karratha Kite School
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
WSW, W, WNW: These wind directions are ideal for kitesurfing at this location.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
Possible stingers (jellyfish) in the summer months
Beginners should avoid this location due to the rocks downwind in the bay.
For less experienced kiters, it is recommended to enter and exit the water from the South/West beach in the bay.
Exiting the bay near the oval can be dangerous as there are many hidden sharp and slippery rocks.
It does get gusty on the oval especially when descending the oval to the beach.
Other obstacles include the palm trees, playground and shade huts at the Eastern aspect of the bay.
- Warm water, afternoon seabeeze ideal for getting out after work
- Relatively flat water, pump up and pack down kite on the grassy oval
- Good range of facilities (BBQ’s, Showers, Toilets) cafe and boat club nearby.
- Not beginner friendly due to rocks downwind