Hearsons Cove is one of the main kiting spots for Karratha kiters in the winter season when the wind direction is a predominant Easterly in the mornings. It's only a 20min drive from Karratha on the Burrup Peninsula.
This location does have a large tidal range, at low tide there can be a long walk out to the water which is worthwhile as you will find a flat kiting spot often all to yourself. At high tide the spot can be very choppy and there are usually a few more kiters in the water.
High tides are not suitable for beginners: Deep water, very choppy with dumping On-Shore waves and more traffic.
Low tides are ideal for beginners due to shallow water.
For Beginners practicing board skills it is easiest when the tide is 1.5 - 3m.
- Average water temperature: 26.39; Min: 24.1, Max 28.4.
- Average air temperature: Mean Min July:17
You will find a kitesurfing school and shop operating in the area: Karratha Kite School
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
ENE and E : These wind directions are ideal for kitesurfing at this location.
NE and ESE: These wind directions can work for this location but can be more gusty
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Wind is predominantly on shore
- Main obstacles are the sun huts, 4WD’s and other beach users.
- Beginner friendly ONLY on lower tides
- Some nice small waves on an outgoing tide.
- Flattens out at low tide
- Water warm enough in winter to kite without a wetsuit.
- Not suitable for beginners at high tide
- Predominantly on shore wind directions.
- Very choppy at high tide
- Large tidal range