Sandy Bay is a magical spot to kitesurf with turquoise clear water. Launching and landing can get tricky with wind shadows in South to South-West winds. Due to the wind shadows and the side-off shore area this location is not recommended for beginners. A kitesurfing school : Exmouth Surf Centre operates in the Exmouth area. Be aware that due South winds are OFF SHORE at this location.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
SSW, SW: These sea breeze wind directions are ideal for kitesurfing at this location. These winds will blow predominantly in the afternoons from Mid-August through March.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These wind directions are more rare but can work for this location.
NNE : This wind direction may work at this location but could be gusty with wind passing over nearby land.
S, SSE, SE, ESE, E, ENE, NE: These wind directions will be off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Wind shadows and side-off shore winds
- Beach can get crowded with other beach users
- Keep a safe distance from other beach users
- Do not launch/Land with other beach users downwind of you especially in the wind shadow areas
- Launch further upwind on the Western end of the bay for cleaner wind
- Stunning location
- A great freestyle / freeride spot with flat water
- Wind shadows on the beach and close to shore
- Busy beach at times
- Side-off shore area
- Remote location with no amenities