Cottesloe (aka '' Dutch Inn'') is a flat water Ocean location because of shallow reef preventing the waves to get to the shore. Water can be choppy out of the reef break and small waves can be found in summer. Because of the reef, beginners are not advised to kite at this location. This location is strictly regulated by the council. All kitesurfers must respect the restrictions in place in order to keep this location open for kitesurfing. A KWA or KA membership tag is needed to ride at this location.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction allows you to get away from the shore but also come back to shore easily.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months. This wind direction is ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Forbidden to ride in front of the Surf life saving club
- Northern limit : Rosendo Street
- Southern limit : Princes Street
- Forbidden to set up on the grass
- Stay clear and give way to windsurfers and other water and beach users
- This location is reserved to KWA and KA members. Kitesurfers need to wear a tag on their harness. Offenders risk a fine and rangers can seize their equipment
- Shallow reef underwater
- Forbidden to kite North and inside of the groyne
- Flat water
- Busy beach in summer
- Strict rules