Coronation Beach is a short 30 minutes drive North of Geraldton and about a 4.5 to 5 hours drive from Perth. It is internationally renowned for windsurfing. Kiters must beware of water traffic and observe right of way rules. Restrictions apply: rigging, launching and landing is only permitted in the designated (sign posted) kitesurfing area. Coronation Beach mostly attracts wave riders, but also has a flat water zone. A kitesurfing school : Kitewest operates there. Be aware that the winds are much stronger than in Perth, it's not uncommon for the wind to reach 30 knots or more during the summer months.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction. Due South winds are very gusty especially in the launching/landing area.
SSW, SW These wind directions are ideal for this location.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are not recommended for beginners. Winter winds are usually generated by storm fronts and can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Sketchy launch, gusty and small launching area
- Beach goers and fishermen
- Anchored boats
- Windsurfing zone South of kitesurfing zone. Look at signage.
- Rigging zone : North of the boat access
- Wave riding etiquette applies with all other disciplines on the water
- Wind can be gusty the first 50m from shore, especially in South winds
- Wind may feel lighter on the beach than it actually is on the water, because the launching area is in a wind shadow
🅿️ Access, Parking & Camping
A popular campsite is located right next to the kitesurfing spot. Bookings are not possible (first come, first served) and there is no water available on site. The campsite can be very busy or fully booked during peak periods.
Goodies is another campsite close by (10 min drive from Coronation Beach). It has showers, toilets and kitchen amenities.
- Flat area and wave area
- First wave break is good for learning to ride waves
- Wind frequently reaches 35 knots during summer
- Sketchy launch. Gusty and small area
- No showers, no fresh water available
- Popular spot for windsurfers
- Gusty wind the first 50m from the beach