Brighton Beach / Brighton Road is a wave riding location for advanced kitesurfers only. Shore breaks, heavy surf and strong currents can be a challenge even for intermediate riders. This location can have heavy water traffic, especially downwind of the launching spot. Right of way rules and wave riding etiquette applies with all disciplines sharing the water.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
S: A common afternoon wind direction especially during the hottest parts of summer (January-February). On very hot summer days, due South winds are often weaker in strength and may arrive later in the afternoon.
SSW: The most common afternoon wind direction during the summer months in Perth (October-April). This wind direction is ideal for this location.
SW: A true South-West breeze happens on occasions during the summer months.
WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N: These winds will blow predominantly during winter (May-September) and are usually generated by storm fronts. They can be unpredictable, gusty and on-shore.
NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SE, SSE: These winds will take you off-shore at this location and must be avoided by all kitesurfers.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- NO KITESURFING WITHIN SWIMMERS OR INSIDE THE SURF LIFE SAVING CLUB FLAGS
- Pump kites on the grass and bring the kite on the beach. Launch from the beach
- Do NOT launch from the grass and walk to the beach with the kite up
- Keep your distance from other beach users
- Respect SLSC flagged areas and keep an extra safe distance
- Busy with swimmers and surfers
- Windsurf Area downwind
- Give way to other marine operations (SUP, jetskis, etc.)
- Give way to people riding waves
- Respect Right of way Rules and observe wave riding etiquette with all other disciplines
- Good wave riding spot for experienced kiters
- Strong currents and shore breaks
- Frequent theft in car park: hide your valuables and lock your car.
- Busy beach with beach goers, swimmers, SUPs, jetskis, surfers and windsurfers