Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
Augusta is a great location for intermediate to expert kiters. This spot works best with strong South-Easterly winds (20-30 knots). Mirror flat water can be found inside the deadwater area (VERY gusty) and waves can be ridden on the Ocean side. Do NOT launch/land in the grass area / Picnic area next to the Car Park. Be aware that the current can be quite strong in the river mouth because of tide movement. This location is not recommended for unsupervised beginners. A kitesurfing school with boat support : Margaret River Kitesurfing operates from this location. Be aware that wind speeds can reach well over 30-35 knots on occasions during summer.
🧭 Wind Compass
ESE, SE, SSE: These are the best wind directions for this location. You will typically have the strongest winds for Augusta during the hottest days of summer, when the winds are off-shore in Perth.
E, S: These winds can work at this location, but are not ideal.
SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE, NE, ENE: These wind directions are NOT suitable for this location.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Strong currents in the river mouth due to tide movement
- Wind shadows further down the river. Riding West of the launching area is not recommended
- Strong wind turbulence around the grass picnic area. Unattended landed kite can move around, even when secured down
- Gusty winds, especially in the deadwater area
- Boats and fisherman are often present in the river mouth and in the deadwater area.
- Hidden obstacles (dead trees under water) can be found in the deadwater area
- Hidden rocks can be found in the Ocean side, especially close to the river mouth and West shore
- The deadwater area changes every year and got a lot smaller lately (see discussions in Links and Media below)
- Mirror flat water in the deadwater area
- A great spot to kite when the winds are off-shore in Perth
- A great spot for boosting big airs if you can manage the very gusty winds
- Generally not so crowded
- Fun waves to ride on the Ocean side
- Lots of space to kite on the Ocean side
- SE winds sometimes blow all day long
- SE winds are notoriously gusty in this area
- Winds are VERY gusty in the deadwater area
- Limited space and very shallow areas in the deadwater area