Albany offers great shallow flat water kiting inside Shoal Bay. This location works in various Easterly wind directions (SE, ESE, E, ENE, NE). You will often have the best wind conditions in Albany during the warmest summer months. When the winds are off-shore in Perth due to excessive heat, you are almost guaranteed to have great winds in Albany. At this location, the launching zone is very small with wind shadows especially in SE, ESE and Easterly winds. A few local kitesurfers and windsurfers use this area. THERE ARE NO KITESURFING SCHOOLS / SHOPS IN THE ALBANY REGION.
Please note: this location guide is a guide for kitesurfing spots in Perth and other parts of Western Australia. This is NOT a list of where our school operates from. KiteBud conducts lessons ONLY from Pinnaroo Point in Hillarys.
🧭 Wind Compass
E, ENE, NE : Common wind directions during the hottest parts of Summer in Albany. These are the only wind directions that can work at this location.
SE, ESE: You might need to walk further along the shore and launch East of the normal launching zone to get clean wind in those directions.
NE, NNE, N, NNW, NW, WNW, W, WSW, SW, SSW, S, SSE : These winds will not work for this location and are typically found in winter and during storm fronts.
⚠️ Dangers and Restrictions
- Locals say that cobblers (venomous catfish) live in the seaweed (dark areas on the map)
- Sandy areas can get very shallow at low tide
- Small rigging / launching area with wind shadows
- Excellent flat water kiting suitable for any skill level
- Endless playground with no crowds
- Winds can be light at times, so it is best to bring larger kites, just in case